Benefits of Online Learning
RCampus One of several online learning platforms, RCampus can be used to create courses, student assignments, keep grades, hold class discussions, and post many types of educational content such as videos, links, images, etc.
Popular Online Learning Platforms
Codeacademy is a more engaging way to learn interactive platform. Team members don’t just watch or read about someone else coding — they write and edit their own code live, practicing and applying what they learn in real-world situations. Build the skills you need. Created by industry experts, our course catalog covers all of the most sought-after technical skills and languages (like Python, React, and SQL).
What is TED?
TED believes passionately that ideas have the power to change attitudes, lives, and ultimately, the world. This underlying philosophy is the driving force behind all of TED’s endeavors, including the TED Conferences, TEDx, TED Books, the TED Fellows Program, and the TED Open Translation Project. With this philosophy in mind, and with the intention of supporting teachers and sparking the curiosity of learners around the world, TED-Ed was launched in 2012.
- Set Aside Time for Creation and Editing If you’re going to create videos and screencasts for your lessons, consider not only the time it takes to record these, but also how long it takes to edit them, create title slides, render and upload them to online teaching platforms, etc.(Source: https://oedb.org/ilibrarian/6-free-platforms-teaching-online/)
Learn without limits. Start, switch, or advance your career with more than 5,400 courses, Professional Certificates, and degrees from world-class universities and companies. Accelerate business transformation. Upskill your employees to excel in the digital economy. Rapidly deploy training for in-demand skills. Offer content from top universities and companies. Provide hands-on guided learning. Track and benchmark skills.
This is a massive online teaching platform with over 2 million students worldwide and 13,000 courses. It lets instructors design robust classes including video lectures, PowerPoint files, screencast videos, documents, audio files, text, and mashup videos. The platform is completely free for instructors to create their courses which they may offer either for free or for a fee. If there is a fee involved, Udemy takes a percentage of that. This is a very professional-looking platform that has a lot to offer.
edX is an American massive open online course provider created by Harvard and MIT. It hosts online university-level courses in a wide range of disciplines to a worldwide student body, including some courses at no charge. It also conducts research into learning based on how people use its platform.
Khan Academy is an American non-profit educational organization created in 2008 by Sal Khan. Its goal is creating a set of online tools that help educate students. The organization produces short lessons in the form of videos. Its website also includes supplementary practice exercises and materials for educators.
Guide To Building A Open Access Platform
Although, this article is not a complete roadmap to building an extremely successful Open Access Platform is is a great basic outline. For example, an online course on basic math skills which might be required before taking an advanced live class, etc., may prove to be more useful when explaining to reader’s the how-to’s of platform development.
Today, there are four primary submodels of scholarly open access article publishing:
- Green: manuscripts require reader payment on the publisher’s website but can be self-archived in a disciplinary open access archive, such as ArXiv, or an institutional open access archive. A time-based embargo period may be required before the article can be archived. The authors are not required to pay an article processing charge.
- Hybrid: authors have the choice to publish their work through the gold or green open access models.
- Bronze: a newer and less common option than gold, green, or hybrid open access, bronze open access means that manuscripts are published in a subscription-based journal without a clear license.
- Gold: all articles are published through open access, and the journal is indexed by Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ). The author is required to pay an article processing charge.
Current State of Open Access
Though open access isn’t yet the default for publishing, it’s a widely available option that’s quickly becoming an expected option for journals. Additionally, research funding bodies are increasingly requiring open access publication as a term for funding, such as the Wellcome Trust and the National Institutes of Health.